A STAGGERING 100 Historic Egyptian painted coffins and 40 valuable statues have been unearthed on the Saqqara necropolis close to Cairo.
Egypt’s Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities revealed the spectacular discovery at a latest press convention.
The coffins have been displayed at a press conventionCredit score: AP:Related Press
A few of the coffins have mummies inside.
They have been sealed and buried for round 2,500 years.
The large archaeological discover has been displayed at a a makeshift exhibit close to Saqarra’s step pyramid.
Consultants opened a coffin on the press occasion and revealed a wrapped and nicely adorned mummy inside.
Considered one of them was opened and X-rayed to disclose a nicely wrapped mummy insideCredit score: EPA
The coffins have intricate patternsCredit score: AFP or licensors
These designs have been drawn hundreds of years in the pastCredit score: AFP or licensors
They then carried out an X-ray to see how nicely the human stays had been preserved inside.
A number of the coffins have been dated again to a interval of round 320BC to about 30BC.
Different are stated so far to the Late Interval of 664-332BC.
Round 40 statues have been additionally discoveredCredit score: AFP or licensors
Opening Historic Egyptian coffins typically sparks ‘curse of the pharaohs’ fearsCredit score: AFP or licensors
They may quickly be despatched to museumsCredit score: AFP or licensors
A lot of valuable gilded statues have been additionally discoveredCredit score: AFP or licensors
They have been discovered underground in a zone now dubbed the ‘Metropolis of the Useless’ by some.
The coffins and statues might be moved to a few museums together with the brand new Grand Egyptian Museum subsequent to the pyramids.
The coffins had been sealed for round 2,500 yearsCredit score: AFP or licensors
The most recent discoveries imply that 140 sealed sarcophagi have been revealed at Saqarra since September this yr.
Egypts tourism and antiquities minister Khaled el-Anany stated one other announcement a few huge discovery from the Saqqara necropolis might be made later this yr.
The picket coffins have been nicely preservedCredit score: AFP or licensors
Consultants will fastidiously look at every wonderful discoverCredit score: AFP or licensors
The mummies and their coffins might be studied by expert specialists who’re hopefully not superstitious.
The curse of the pharaohs is an alleged curse that some folks imagine will have an effect on anybody who disturbs mummified stays of an Historic Egyptian individual.
This supposed curse is just not stated to distinguish between archaeologists and thieves and is alleged to trigger dangerous luck, sickness and even loss of life.
It is typically linked to King Tutankhamun and the individuals who died after opening his tomb.
A quick historical past of Historic Egypt
Here is the whole lot you might want to know…
- The Historic Egyptians have been a complicated civilisation who at one level owned an enormous portion of the globe
- The civilisation started about 5,000 years in the past when historic people started constructing villages alongside the River Nile
- It lasted for about 3,000 years and noticed the constructing of complicated cities centuries forward of their time – in addition to the well-known Nice Pyramids
- The Historic Egyptians have been specialists at farming and development
- They invented a photo voltaic calendar, and one of many world’s earliest writing techniques: The hieroglyph
- The Egyptians have been dominated by kings and queens referred to as pharaohs
- Faith and the afterlife have been an enormous a part of Historic Egyptian tradition. That they had over 2,000 gods
- Pharaohs constructed large elaborate tombs to be buried in, a few of which have been pyramids – on the time among the many largest buildings on the planet
- The Egyptians believed in life after loss of life, and essential folks’s corpses have been mummified to protect their our bodies for the afterlife
- The Historic Egytpian empire fell as a result of a mixture of elements, together with wars with different empires and a 100-year interval of drought and hunger
In different archaeology information, sacrificed llama mummies have been dug up in Peru they usually’re virtually completely preserved after 500 years.
A Viking temple dedicated to Old Norse gods like Thor has been unearthed by archaeologists.
And, a sunken ship has been found in almost perfect condition regardless of spending 400 years underwater.
What do you consider the mass coffin discovery? Tell us within the feedback…
We pay in your tales! Do you might have a narrative for The Solar On-line Tech & Science crew? E mail us at [email protected]