Another year is here and that means it’s time for our yearly Nintendo predictions! Put on your thinking caps and join us as we try to guess what Nintendo will do next!
Check out last year’s predictions HERE to see how we did! Trev and I both need a ‘do-over’ on last year’s predictions with all that happened. Looks like I got 4 predictions right last year and Trev got 2.5 to 3 predictions right so not bad but definitely not our best showing. Hopefully this next year brings more success both for Nintendo and our predictions ??
*Wild Cards are worth two points
- Breath of the Wild 2 will release in 2021 (retry of my 2020 prediction ?)
- An upgraded Nintendo Switch (Nintendo Switch Pro) will be announced in 2021 (another redo of a 2020 prediction).
- Bayonetta 3 will get a new trailer (2020 redo prediction)
- Metroid’s 35th Anniversary will not go unnoticed by Nintendo (some new Metroid info will happen whether it’s Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Switch (finally) or Metroid Prime 4 or a new 2D Metroid title)
- It is also the 40th anniversary of Donkey Kong — I expect we’ll see something DK related in 2021 (please be a follow-up to Tropical Freeze!)
- The Pokemon Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl) remakes will release this year
- It is also Zelda’s 35th anniversary — I could see Nintendo celebrating this heavily (more so than Metroid). I think we’ll get the aforementioned BOTW 2 release but I also think we’ll see Skyward Sword HD and/or a compilation of other past Zelda games on the Switch (similar to Mario 3D All-Stars).
- A new Mario sports game will be announced, my hope would be for Mario Strikers, Baseball or Golf
- Detective Pikachu 2 will show up this year (new trailer or possibly released)
- Monolith Soft (Xenoblade studio) gives a glimpse of their next project
- The Switch will get an app that can play Project xCloud / Xbox Game Pass games (redo of 2020 prediction)
- N64 games will finally arrive on the Nintendo Switch Online service
- With the pandemic (hopefully) being less of a factor in 2021, Zelda’s 35th Anniversary will be even bigger than Mario’s.
- Joy-Con drift will continue to make headlines, with Nintendo offering cagey replies about it.
- amiibo will see a sizable increase of new releases in 2021. I think New Pokémon Snap will bring some additions.
- Brewster’s Café will finally be added to Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
- The Coronavirus threw a monkey wrench into things, but Nintendo Directs will return in a big way in 2021. Less game-specific and mini’s, more full-fledged ones.
- After being absent from the Super Mario 3D All-Stars compilation, Super Mario Galaxy 2 will release digitally on the Switch eShop.
- No more teasing with just new icons; long overdue themes will finally come to the Switch.
- My Nintendo will (four years later) add Switch software as rewards. Expect them to mostly be discounts on games you already have.
- The Crash Team Racing experiment will result in the eShop offering more trials of full games.
- To promote the new Super Nintendo World theme park, Nintendo will have a release based around it, perhaps in the mold of a Nintendo Land sequel.
- Nintendo will finally revisit StarTropics in a proper form (third time’s a charm, right?)
- Pure Nintendo will publish 500 reviews for the year.