AN Alexa for Xbox app is coming to the latest versions of the games consoles.
Amazon plans to launch the app for the Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One consoles.
The Microsoft website says the app is coming soonCredit: Microsoft
It will give users the ability to control their consoles using Alexa voice commands.
Such commands will include turning on your Xbox, launching a game or playing a song.
You’ll also be able to bring up your Amazon shopping list or take a look at your Ring doorbell footage.
The app isn’t avaliable yet but the Microsoft website does include a section about it.
The Amazon for Xbox app will let users control their console with Alexa voice commandsCredit: AFP or licensors
Alexa for Xbox builds upon the Alexa Skill app that launched in 2018.
That app required users to say “Alexa, tell Xbox to…” and then it could make your Xbox turn on and off amongst other basic comands.
The new app won’t require require you to ask Alexa to tell your Xbox something.
You’ll just have to say “Alexa, launch…” and then add a game name.
Amazon has said the app will be avaliable in the next few days.
It will be rolling out globally.
What is Alexa?
If you’ve never heard of Alexa, here’s what you need to know…
- Alexa is an “intelligent” personal assistant built by Amazon.
- You can find her on several different devices, including Amazon’s Echo speakers.
- Alexa responds to voice commands, and can talk back to you.
- She can perform thousands of different tasks, including telling you about the news or weather.
- But she can do more complex things too, like ordering a pizza or arranging an Uber taxi pick-up.
- To activate Alexa, you need to say “Alexa” to an Amazon Echo speaker.
- Alexa currently only works in English and German languages.
- Because she’s powered by artificial intelligence, Alexa is constantly getting smarter.
- Alexa will also get more used to your voice, and better understand what you want her to do over time.
In other news, Twitter has launched paid subscriptions that let you charge followers to see your “exclusive” posts.
Apple could be releasing as many as nine new iPhones this year, according to rumours.
And, WhatsApp is having another go at getting all users to accept controversial new privacy terms.
Will you find the Xbox Alexa app useful? Let us know in the comments…
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]