FORGOT your iPhone passcode? You’re not the first – but thankfully there are ways to get your device back.
We’ve put together a quick guide on how to recover and restore your iPhone after locking yourself out.
You should always back up your phone to iCloudCredit: Alamy
How to unlock an iPhone if you don’t know the password
If you want to restore your phone to the version it was before you forgot your password then its important that you’ve been backing it up to iCloud or you might lose all your photos and videos.
- To get into recovery mode you need to connect your iPhone to a computer and open the iTunes store.
- Next, you need to force restart on your phone.
- This requires different buttons depending on which iPhone you have but for the iPhone 8 and above you need to press and release the volume up button and then press the volume down button, followed by holding the side button.
- On the iPhone 7, press and hold the volume down button and the side button at the same time and for older iPhones press and hold the home button and the top button at the same time.
- All these combinations should make the recovery mode screen appear.
- A screen should then appear on your computer which says “There is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored” and you just need to select ‘Restore’.
Restoring can take a few minutesCredit: Alamy
It can take a few minutes for your phone to be restored but if it takes over 15 you might have to start the process again.
Never unplug your phone whilst it is being restored.
Once your phone has been restored you will be able to use it again.
If you backed up your iPhone then all your information can be restored using your Apple ID.
Go to ‘Apps & Data’ and click ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’.
Sign into your iCloud and choose your most recent backup.
Login to your Apple ID account to restore your apps.
If you’re still locked out after all this then it’s probably best to book an appointment to see a specialist at your local Apple Store.
iPhone 11 part ‘stolen from Apple factory’ reveals three cameras on back of handset.
iPhone 2020 could have triple camera, flawless screen and hidden fingerprint scanner, concept images reveal.
Snapchat launches Snap Games feature that lets you play live multiplayer games with pals.
What’s the longest time you’ve been locked out your phone for? Let us know in the comments…