INSTAGRAM has launched a new feature called Live Rooms that will let you chat with up to three friends at the same time.
It’s a bit different from other virtual chat platforms because anyone will be able to watch your live conversation.
Live Rooms could be used for podcasts or talk showsCredit: Instagram
Previously, only two people were able to be involved in a live chat on Instagram.
Live Rooms has changed that to a maximum of four.
Instagram has suggested people could use the feature for talk show or podcast purposes.
The feature started rolling out globally on March 1 and should soon be avaliable to everyone.
How to create an Instagram Live Rooms chat
The feature should soon be avaliable to everyoneCredit: Instagram
To use Live Rooms you’ll need to make sure you’ve updated your Instagram app.
Then, open the app, swipe left so you’re on the camera screen and then swipe through the options at the bottom of the screen until you’re on ‘Live’.
Once you’ve added a title you’ll need to tap the ‘Rooms’ icon to add your guests.
You can search for a guest to add or accept people who are requesting to go live with you.
You’ll be able to add three guests at once.
If you’re the one starting the Live Room then you’ll be at the top of the screen.
Instagram said on a blogpost: “This update is another step forward in giving creators more ways to reach and interact with their audiences.
“Live Rooms will soon be available globally for everyone on Instagram.”
It also stressed that the new feature had been designed “with safety in mind”.
It said: “People that are blocked by any of the active participants in the Live Room will not be able to join the Live.
“Guests who have had live access revoked because of violations of our Community Guidelines also won’t be able to join a Live Room.
“Features that are currently available to Live hosts, such as the ability to report and block comments, and apply comment filters will also be available to hosts of Live Rooms.”
Instagram – the key facts
Here’s what you need to know…
- Instagram is a social network for sharing photos and videos
- It was created back in October 2010 as an iPhone-exclusive app
- A separate version for Android devices was released 18 months later
- The app rose to popularity thanks to its filters system, which lets you quickly edit your photos with cool effects
- When it first launched, users could only post square 1:1 ratio images, but that rule was changed in 2015
- In 2012, Facebook bought Instagram for $1billion in cash and stock
- In 2018, some analysts believe the app is worth closer to $100billion
- In October 2015, Instagram confirmed that more than 40billion photos had been uploaded to the app
- And in 2018, Instagram revealed that more than a billion people were using the app every month
In other news, Spotify has removed hundreds of K-pop songs after a dispute with music distributor Kakao M.
Twitter has launched paid subscriptions that let you charge followers to see your “exclusive” posts.
And, Apple could be releasing as many as nine new iPhones this year, according to rumours.
What’s your favourite Instagram feature? Let us know in the comments…
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]