Michael Eavis is considering an event in September (Picture: Matt Cardy/Getty Images)
Michael Eavis has hinted that a smaller version of Glastonbury could happen later this year.
It was confirmed yesterday that despite their efforts, Glastonbury Festival has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
It is a huge blow not only to the 200,000 revellers who had looked forward to dancing in a field, but for Michael and Emily Eavis, who have been forced to axe their festival for the second year in a row.
However, Michael, 85, is hoping that Glasto could return in some shape or form this year.
Speaking on LBC, the dairy farmer said: ‘I would like to do something in September.
‘I would like to do something smaller somewhere around the anniversary date of when we started, which was the 18th of September in 1970, and I would like to consider possibly doing something around that time.’
LBC presenter Tom Swarbrick suggested that people who usually play the festival could perform, with Eavis replying: ‘Yeah, but I do need to get reassurance from the ethics people and everything.’
When asked if the potential 2022 festival would be Glasto’s ‘biggest ever’, Eavis said: ‘I just hope it’s going to be the best we’ve ever done.’
The festival has been cancelled this summer (Picture: Getty)
After much speculation about whether the June festival could go ahead, it was confirmed on Thursday that ‘in spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth’, it has ‘become clear’ that the 200,000-capacity festival would not be happening.
Eavis said on LBC: ‘We could see it coming, I suppose. I’d been talking to the big-wigs at Imperial College, day-by-day, and last night was the last straw when they said “no, this is really not going to happen”.’
He said that he had previously hoped to run a smaller festival for 2021 with around 50,000 people, instead of the usual 200,000, but that idea ‘didn’t bear any fruit’, and at 5pm on Wednesday evening, he was told that there was ‘no way that you can run’.
The organiser said: ‘Six different people that were working on a trial at Glastonbury, at the farm, it was only realised yesterday that they couldn’t get it through the ethics committee, apparently.’
However, Eavis said he is ‘confident’ about the festival’s future due to the response he saw in the media following their announcement, as well as the loyalty of the fans.
He also addressed previous claims he made that Glastonbury could go bankrupt were it to be cancelled for a second year, explaining that they get income from merchandise sold on the site.
Eavis added that there was ‘plenty to do’ on the farming side with ploughing and their ‘500 cows’, so he won’t be twiddling his thumbs this summer.
Taylor Swift, Sir Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar had been set to headline the 2020 festival, which would have marked Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary.
Eavis did not confirm who had been scheduled to play this June’s attempt.
Fans who put down a deposit for the 2020 festival will be given the opportunity to roll over their deposit to secure a ticket for the 2022 event.