THE HARRY POTTER film series dominated cinema throughout the noughties – inspiring a generation of wizardry.
The magic began with the release of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone in 2001, the first film in the franchise.
Daniel Radcliffe (left) as Harry Potter, Rupert Grint (centre) as Ron Weasley and Emma Watson (right) as Hermione GrangerCredit: Alamy
Below are some of the most famous quotes from the series:
- You’re a wizard, Harry – Rubeus Hagrid, the Philosopher’s Stone.
- There must be a mistake, this says platform 9 3/4, there’s no such thing – Harry Potter, the Philosopher’s Stone.
- There is no good and evil, there is only power and those too weak to seek it – Lord Voldemort, the Philosopher’s Stone.
- Honestly, if you were any slower, you’d be going backward – Draco Malfoy, the Chamber of Secrets.
- It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities – Albus Dumbledore, the Chamber of Secrets.
- I solemnly swear I am up to no good – Harry Potter, the Prisoner of Azkaban.
- You think the dead we loved truly ever leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly in times of great trouble? – Albus Dumbledore, the Prisoner of Azkaban.
- Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it – Albus Dumbledore, the Goblet of Fire.
- ‘Never be ashamed,’ my old dad used to say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth bothering with’ – Rubeus Hagrid, the Goblet of Fire.
- I think I’ll just go down and have some pudding and wait for it all to turn up, it always does in the end – Luna Lovegood, the Order of the Phoenix.
- Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realise that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back! – Albus Dumbledore, the Half-Blood Prince.
- I have seen your heart and it is mine – Lord Voldemort, the Deathly Hallows Part 1.
- Harry Potter… Join me in the Forbidden Forest and confront your fate – Lord Voldemort, the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
The three main characters later in the franchiseCredit: Alamy
How many Harry Potter movies are there?
The Chamber of Secrets (2002) – the second film – was followed by the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), the Goblet of Fire (2005), the Order of the Phoenix (2007) and the Half-Blood Prince (2009).
For most of this time, it was impossible to predict which way the series would go because the final book – the Deathly Hallows – was not published until 2007.
That tale was split into two films, the first of which was release in 2010.
The final film, the Deathly Hallows Part 2, was came out in 2011 to conclude a decade of magic.
The main characters grew up on set as Daniel Radcliffe, who played Harry Potter, was just 12 when the Philosopher’s Stone was released.
How can I watch Harry Potter?
The series is not currently available to view on Netflix.
Sky Cinema subscribers, though, can watch all eight movies on demand.
It is also available to rent or buy on Amazon Prime, with the box-set costing £39.99 to buy.
And the films are often shown on ITV.