Table of Contents
AN EMOTIONAL Meghan Markle has lifted the lid on her brief time in the UK as a working member of the Royal family.
Prince Harry revealed in their Oprah Winfrey interview that his family had cut him off financially at the start of 2020 after announcing their Megxit plans. So did the Sussexes get paid for their exclusive chat?
? Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest news and gossip…
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle slammed the Royal family during the interviewCredit: Reuters
Were Harry and Meghan paid for the Oprah interview?
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were filmed in a private garden for their revealing interview with Oprah Winfrey, surrounded by stone pillars and an immaculate lawn.
But, Harry and Meghan were not paid for their chat with Oprah.
At the start of their special interview, Oprah confirms: “You are not getting paid for this interview.”
Meghan replies: “That is correct.”
The Wall Street Journal reported that CBS – which aired the interview in the US on March 7 2021 – paid a license fee of between $7million and $9million.
That equates to about £5million to £6.5million for the rights to the special, said sources familiar with the deal.
The couple opened up about their traumatic time as working royals in the UK
How much money are Harry and Meghan making after leaving Royal Family?
The couple, who signed a £30million deal with Spotify in December 2020, could now be tapped up with offers from agents after their split from the Royals. They’ve also signed a lucrative deal with Netflix.
Harry said the royal family cut him off financially at the start of 2020 after announcing plans to step back from his roles.
But he was able to afford security for his family because of the money his late mother, Princess Diana – who died in 1997 – left behind.
Princess Diana and Prince Charles and their children Princes Harry and William in 1995Credit: AFP or licensors
Financial experts at money.co.uk have provided insights as to how the celeb couple could rake in the cash they are no longer earning from the royal family.
Salman Haqqi, personal finance expert, said: “Maximising their celebrity to further causes close to their hearts, as well as increasing their commercial earnings to support their growing family, will be a focus for the couple as they continue building their new lives in California.”
Some of the ways they could benefit financially, according to Haqqi, include:
- Social media – The couple currently has 10.3million followers and if they chose to cooperate in brand deals, their earnings could reach in excess of $34,000 (£24,000) per POST.
- Commercial partnership – They could boost their income through brand partnerships. For example, sportswear giant Nike is estimated to have paid Michael Jordan a mammoth $1.3billion (£927million) since 1984.
- Book deals – The public would be more than willing to splash some cash on a tell-all book. In 2017, Barack and Michelle Obama signed a deal with Penguin Random House which, at the time, was said to have been sold for more than $60million (£42million).
- TV and Film – From behind the camera as producers to fronting their own films, and maybe making cameos for some of their Hollywood friends could prove seriously lucrative for the couple.
- Public speaking circuit – With their level of fame, they could potentially charge upwards of $1million (£713,000) for each appearance, says Haqqi.
- Personal business ventures – It’s no secret that Meghan is a big yoga fan, and Harry turned to meditation to become more mindful. Starting up their own business could also help earn a stable income for the pair.
In response to a question from Oprah, Harry said he wouldn’t have left royal life if not for Meghan.
He said their relationship revealed the strictures of royal life.
“I wouldn’t have been able to, because I myself was trapped,” Harry said, adding, “I didn’t see a way out.
He said: “I was trapped, but I didn’t know I was trapped.
“My father and my brother, they are trapped.”
Just some of their quotes in the Oprah interview
How much will Harry and Meghan make for their Netflix deal?
One source said the former actress, who starred in the hit US drama Suits, wants the world to see the “real her”.
Senior advisors were reportedly concerned over the speed at which they have been signing these megabucks deals.
Courtiers were taking a “renewed in-depth look at the couple’s business deals” but their split from the famiy could see them freely take part in a host of shows.
£112m Netflix Deal
In February The Sun revealed that Meghan had already pitched a documentary to Netflix about the Black Lives Matter founder.
The proposed movie will be about Patrisse Cullors, one of the three co-founders of the Black Lives Matter movement.
If the project gets the green light it will be a part of the Netflix megadeal signed by the couple.
As their celebrity status continues to gain momentum, Meghan and Harry were said to be inundated with offers about touring their new Archwell Audio podcast.
It would see the pair recording live sessions with an intimate audience.
Prince Harry spoke about the rift between members of the familyCredit: Getty Images – Getty
How can I watch Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview?
ITV won the rights to Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview, estimated to be paying over £1million, according to Forbes.
The couple’s two-hour interview will be aired tonight, March 8, at 9pm on ITV.
It’s thought that former Suits actress Meghan and Prince Harry would have also contributed in deciding which channel aired the chat.
ITV previously aired Harry and Meghan: An African Journey in October 2019, where journalist Tom Bradby — one of Prince Harry’s closest allies in the British media — famously asked Meghan whether she was “OK”.
Oprah’s interview can also be seen on CBS if you download a free 10-day trial.
Timeline of the Sussexes’ relationship