The heir to the fan reportedly sees no royal future for his uncle (Picture: PA/Reuters)
The Duke of York reportedly still harbours ambitions to return to frontline royal duties in the future despite his reputation being shattered in recent years.
He was forced to leave his public roles after details of his friendship with the late convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein came to light.
Andrew’s reputation was further tarnished when Virginia Giuffre launched a civil claim against him in a New York court alleging he had sex with her when she was the victim of trafficking.
He has always strenuously denied all the allegations against him and has previously apologised for associating with Epstein.
Despite his reputation being at a low, it has been widely reported Andrew still thinks he could have a royal role in the future and retains the personal support of the Queen.
But the two men who will have the final say on royal matters in the future, Charles and William, don’t appear to be as confident.
The Queen is reportedly privately supportive of her son but future kings Charles and William do not foresee a future for Andrew as a public royal (Picture: Getty)
A royal source close to William told The Times: ‘There is no way in the world he’s ever coming back, the family will never let it happen.’
Another anonymous source said the Duke of Cambridge considers his uncle to be ‘ungracious and ungrateful’ and claimed the future king sees him as ‘a risk’ and a ‘threat to the family’.
They added: ‘Any suggestion that there isn’t gratitude for the institution, anything that could lead anyone in the public to think that senior members of the royal family aren’t grateful for their position, [William thinks] is really dangerous.’
In August, it was reported Charles did not believe there would be a future role for Andrew.
An unnamed royal source told The Times that Charles ‘loves his brother’ but is concerned about the effect any return to the public eye for Prince Andrew would have on the integrity of the monarchy.
Andrew has spent the summer at Balmoral with the Queen and has kept a low profile since his much-criticised Newsnight interview (Picture: Peter Jolly Northpix)
They told the paper: ‘He has long ago concluded that it is probably an unsolvable problem.
‘This will probably further strengthen in the prince’s mind that a way back for the duke is demonstrably not possible, because the spectre of this [accusation] raises its head with hideous regularity.’
Prince Andrew’s legal team finally accepted they had been served with papers in the Virginia Giuffre case on September 21 after weeks of legal wrangling.
He has until October 29 to respond to the document but his legal team are exploring the possibility a previous settlement involving the claimant may invalidate her case against the duke.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.