MEGHAN Markle wasn’t involved in talks that led to her and Prince Harry being stripped of their honorary titles by the Queen, a Palace statement suggests.
? Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the very latest news...
Prince Harry will lose his military titles, it was confirmed todayCredit: The Mega Agency
The Queen said she was ‘saddened’ after it was confirmed they would notCredit: Getty Images – Getty
Friday’s announcement from the Palace refers to “conversations with The Duke”, suggesting Meghan, 39, wasn’t involved in the Megxit talks.
It’s reported that the Palace entered final talks with Harry, 36, this week.
The Palace statement said: “In stepping away from the work of the Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.”
Their statement said: “We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
Today’s Megxit announcement – released 11 months after the couple stepped back from their roles as senior royals – was made after conversations between The Duke of Sussex and Members of The Royal Family, the palace said.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s decision to quit has ‘saddened’ the QueenCredit: Getty Images – Getty
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said they remained committed to the UKCredit: The Mega Agency
Harry and Meghan’s decision puts extra strain on the family when 99-year-old Prince Philip is in hospital after feeling unwell – with Harry believed to be isolating in the US so he can return to the UK if needed.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family.
“Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.
“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.
“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”
It comes as….
Meghan, 39, and Harry, 36, who are living in the US as they await the arrival of their new baby, then released a statement saying “service is universal”.
A spokesperson for the couple said: “As evidenced by their work over the past year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.
“We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
The palace confirmed the couple would lose their patronages, with Harry being stripped of his honorary military titles as part of the agreement.
However, but they will still be known as Duke and Duchess of Sussex after being given the titles as a wedding gift at their 2018 nuptials at Windsor Castle.
Meghan and Harry last year announced they were quitting as royals, saying they wanted to become financially independent.
Since then, they have moved to the US and signed a string of multi-million pound deals including a rumoured $112 million deal with Netflix.
They have also started their own foundation, Archewell, and launched a podcast series with Spotify believed to be worth £30m.
And they are next expected to sit down in a tell-all chat with Oprah Winfrey in an interview to be aired on CBS next month.
It means Harry will no longer hold his military titles including The Royal Marines, RAF Honington, Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving.
He is also no longer the patron of England Rugby.
Meghan also lost her patronages with The Royal National Theatre and The Association of Commonwealth Universities.
Royal patronages: what positions do Harry and Meghan still hold?
What have they lost and what have they retained?
Former soldier Harry, who served on the frontline in Afghanistan, is no longer the Captain General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Force Commandant of the Royal Air Force Base Honington, or Honorary Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Naval Commands’ Small Ships and Diving.
He has also had to relinquish his role as president of The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust.
The duke will no longer be patron of the Rugby Football Union and the Rugby Football League – roles which he took over from the Queen.
Harry is also no longer patron of the London Marathon Charitable Trust.
The role was on a three-year term, which was renewed twice, covering nine years. It came to an end in January, and it was decided it would not be renewed.
He so far retains the following private patronages or presidencies: African Parks, Dolen Cymru, the Henry van Straubenzee Memorial Fund, Invictus Games, MapAction, Rhino Conservation Botswana charity, Sentebale, and WellChild.
It is not yet known whether Harry will retain his two other rugby-related patronages of the Rugby Football Union All Schools Programme and the Rugby Football Union Injured Players Foundation.
The Queen handed Meghan two royal patronages in 2019, but the duchess loses these: The Royal National Theatre and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
Meghan also has to give up her role as vice-president of The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust.
She keeps her two private patronages: Smart Works and animal charity Mayhew.
Harry and Meghan are expecting another baby, they revealed this weekCredit: PA:Press Association
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry said ‘we can all live a life of service’ after quitting the Royal FamilyCredit: AFP or licensors
The Queen said the couple would always remain ‘much loved’ members of the Royal FamilyCredit: AFP
The National Theatre, of which the Duchess of Sussex was a patron, tweeted: “The National Theatre is very grateful for the support offered by the Duchess of Sussex throughout the course of her patronage.
“The Duchess championed our work with communities and young people across the UK, and our mission to make theatre accessible to all.
“As Buckingham Palace have stated, the process of appointing a new patron is ongoing and will be announced in due course.”
The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust – only founded in 2018 – of which the duke and duchess were president and vice-president respectively said it was “lucky” to have had their support.
The trust said in a statement: “We have been very lucky to have had the keen support and encouragement of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in our formative years.
“They have enabled us to make fast progress and have helped us to take the organisation to readiness for its next phase. We are glad that they remain in our circle of supporters.”
It comes after the Sun revealed earlier this week that Prince Harry, 36, was “upset” at the prospect of losing his military titles.
Meghan and Harry are now living in the US, raising their son Archie, after paying back £2.4million they spent renovating their Windsor home, Frogmore Cottage.
The couple this week announced they were expecting another baby with the Queen saying she was delighted with the news.
The couple left the Royal Family last yearCredit: AFP or licensors
The couple are now raising their son Archie in the USCredit: Getty Images – Getty
The couple stood down from their senior rolesCredit: Getty – Contributor
They are now working to become financially independentCredit: EPA