Table of Contents
MARTIN Lewis’ MoneySavingExpert has revealed how to get freebies on your birthday – and it includes grub from Greggs and Krispy Kreme.
Many companies offer gifts to customers on their birthday, with some requiring you to sign up to newsletters in advance or to create an account online.
Krispy Kremes are among the list of treats you can bag for free on your birthdayCredit: Alamy
In MoneySavingExpert’s latest weekly newsletter, the consumer champion outlined all the places where you can get a treat for free on your big day.
The presents on offer range from free grub from chains including Frankie & Benny’s and Fridays, and vouchers for shops like Body Shop and Paperchase.
However, in most cases, you need to have signed up to loyalty card schemes or download the shop’s app onto your phone to be eligible for the goodies.
This requires you to fill out a number of personal details, including email addresses for example.
Here’s the offers you can bag on your special day:
What can I get for free?
Here’s 13 of the best freebies we spotted on MoneySavingExpert’s list that could be yours when your special day comes around.
- Free Krispy Kreme doughnut: download the Krispy Kreme Rewards app to get the treat during your birthday month- which is free via the App Store and Google Play. Doughnuts usually cost up to £2.25.
- Free Greggs sweet treat: download the Greggs app via Google Play or the App Store, fill out your date of birth as part of the registration process. Show the code you’ll get in your app when it’s your birthday in store to get the treat.
- Free Lidl cookie: sign up to the Lidl Plus app,pick up a cookie from the bakery aisle and show your coupon that will land in your app on the big day at the till. Cookies are usually 39p.
- Free birthday meal or £10 bottle of booze at Frankie & Benny’s: register for Frankie & Benny’s Rewards and you’ll get a voucher 10 days before your birthday emailed to you. Buy a main meal and get a bottle of prosecco for £10 or a free main meal.
- Free meal at Beefeater: pick up a Beefeater Reward Club loyalty card and register it online. A voucher will be emailed to you before your birthday. You’ll get a free meal when another main meal is bought.
- Pizza Express free bottle of prosecco: sign up to Pizza Express newsletter or sign up via its app. Deal will be emailed to you, get the free bottle only when you buy two main meals.
- Fridays free drinks: download Fridays app and get a free cocktail for every main meal bought. Up to six drinks per table can be claimed. Offer will land in app seven days before birthday.
Free stuff from shops
- Free £5 at Body Shop: pick up free Body Shop loyalty card from stores. Voucher for free £5 spend in stores or online will be emailed to you. Make one purchase in the last 12 months to get deal.
- £5 spend at Hobbycraft: get a free Hobbycraft loyalty card by registering online. Code for £5 free spend will land in your emails near birthday.
- £5 spend at Paperchase: sign up to Paperchase’s Treat Me loyalty card by grabbing one in store and registering online. Free £5 spend voucher will land in emails before birthday.
- 15% off ShopDisney: get code for 15% off Disney items when you sign up to ShopDisney newsletter.
Free kids goodies
- ‘Pay your age’ Build-A-Bear: sign up to Build-A-Bear Workshop loyalty scheme. You can build your own bear, usually worth £14, and pay for how old your child is – so pay £3 if your child is three
- 20% off at The Entertainer: create an online account with The Entertainer, register your child to ‘Jack’s Birthday Club’
How else can I get freebies?
Even if it’s not your birthday yet, there are plenty of ways to get freebies from your favourite shops.
Using cashback websites and coupons are a great way to get freebies.
These sites promise to earn you money on your shopping – and in some cases you can even get free food, drink and more completely free by getting your money back after you made the purchase.
Hungry Brits can get free and discounted food from restaurants and brands by signing up to free subscription trials.
For example, Pret a Manger’s subscription service, which launched in September, is giving customers free coffee for a month when they sign up.
Under the Your Pret Barista service, customers can get up to five drinks per day for a £20 monthly subscription – as long as coffees are purchased half an hour apart.
But new customers can get the first month completely free, and you’ll be able to cancel at any time, without charge.
It’s also a good idea to sign up to your favourite chain’s apps, such as McDonald’s or KFC.
App users can often get exclusive deals and money off on their favourite meals – and at McDonald’s, app users can get freebies and discounts on their birthday.
Food waste apps could also chop hundreds of pounds off your grocery bill.
Supermarkets and restaurants often throw away unsold fresh food at the end of the day – but you can use food waste apps to pick these items up for free.
For example, if you download the Too Good to Go app, you can pick up a bag of unsold food for low prices from shops such as Greggs and Costa.
Here’s how to get FREE groceries from Tesco using food-waste app Olio.
Martin Lewis urges drivers to book MOT tests now to beat the backlog or risk a £1,000 fine.
Martin also urged motorists to check if their cars are taxed too, otherwise it could incur another £1,000 fine.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?
Email us at [email protected]