WE have gone crackers for Easter eggs – whatever the price.
Sales of the chocolate treats have increased by 50 PER CENT this year as we emerge from a year of lockdowns, with spending up by £48million to an astonishing £153million.
When it comes to Easter Eggs, many of us can be fooled by flashy packagingCredit: Getty
But when it comes to size, bigger isn’t always best for an Easter egg and what you find in the colourful box may not meet you expectations.
Expert Martyn James, of consumer website Resolver, says: “Don’t be fooled by flashy packaging.
“This proves what many people might have suspected, the chocolate and treats in Easter eggs are often much smaller than you realise. Always read the small print — even on Easter eggs — or you may be in for a disappointment when the foil and pretty packaging comes off.”
To make sure you don’t end up with egg on your face, The Sun has gone on the hunt and checked out some of this year’s best-sellers to work out the price per 100g of chocolate.
Here we let you know which eggs are a bit of a yoke and the ones that will give you the most for your money . . .
Galaxy’s enchanted eggs offer good value for money, working out at £1.29 per 100g
- Galaxy Enchanted Eggs (234g) – £3, tesco.com £1.29 per 100g
Unfortunately the Thorntons classic collection comes in at the second highest price per 100g
- Thorntons Milk Chocolate Egg and Classic Collection (207g) – £12, moonpig.com £5.80 per 100g
Lindt lovers won’t be happy to hear this Easter offering is on the pricier side
- Lindt Lindor Milk Chocolate Shell Egg with Milk Truffle (260g) – £8, sainsburys.co.uk £3.08 per 100g
A Belgian dark chocolate egg from Morrisons averages a similar cost to the one from Lindt
- Belgian Dark Chocolate & Hazelnut Egg (165g) – £5, morrisons.com £3.03 per 100g
Thorntons’ other offering isn’t quite as costly
- Thorntons Unicorn Easter Egg (151g) – £4, morrisons.com £2.65 per 100g
Cadbury’s heroes egg comes in at £1.70 per 100g
Aldi’s giant dragon egg costs almost a tenner, but it works out as good value for money
- Aldi Giant Dragon Egg (680g) – £9.99, Aldi £1.47 per 100g
Our worst value find was the Hotel Chocolat extra thick egg
- Hotel Chocolat Rocky Road to Caramel Extra Thick Egg (490g) – £29, hotelchocolat.com £5.92 per 100g
The KitKat chunky egg works out at a good £1.16 per 100g
- Nestle KitKat Chunky (260g) – £3, tesco.com £1.16 per 100g
The Cadbury creme egg is another solid choice
For the best value, opt for a Mars milk chocolate egg
- Mars Milk Chocolate Egg (141g) – £1, tesco.com 71p per 100g
This classic Cadbury option is just £4 at Morrisons
Nestle’s Smarties offering comes in at £1.73 per 100g
- Smarties Buttons Milk Chocolate Giant Easter Egg (290g) – £5, morrisons.com £1.73 per 100g
The new Twix egg is also good value for money, working out at £1.10 per 100g
- Twix Easter Egg (274g) – £3, tesco.com £1.10 per 100g
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]