RIVER ISLAND is making ready to chop as much as 350 senior store roles within the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
In a letter to workers, the excessive road retailer known as the pandemic “probably the most important challenges that River Island has ever confronted”.
⚠️ Learn our coronavirus live blog for the most recent information & updates
River Island is the most recent excessive road retailer to chop again on workersCredit score: Alamy
It pointed to ongoing weak footfall regardless of lockdown easing, plus the shift on-line.
The retailer employs 7,900 folks – however 350 of these might be reduce in each retailer administration and senior gross sales roles.
Retailer closures have not been introduced at this stage.
Chief government Will Kernan mentioned: “We at the moment are within the technique of restructuring our retail groups by simplifying our retailer administration buildings. With a heavy coronary heart, I can verify that these adjustments will doubtlessly impression as much as 350 retailer administration and senior gross sales roles.”
He mentioned the overhaul was “essential” to make sure the shops nonetheless have a task as gross sales transfer on-line.
What are my redundancy rights?
BEFORE making you unemployed, your employer ought to nonetheless perform a good redundancy course of.
You’re entitled to be consulted on the redundancy lay-off first and to obtain a statutory redundancy cost, so long as you have been working someplace for at the very least two years.
How a lot you are entitled to is determined by your age and size of service, though that is capped at 20 years. You may get:
- Half per week’s pay for every full yr you had been underneath 22,
- One week’s pay for every full yr you had been 22 or older, however underneath 41,
- One and half week’s pay for every full yr you had been 41 or older.
Sadly, you will not be entitled to a payout if you happen to’ve been working in your employer for fewer than two years.
There ought to be a interval of collective session in addition to time for particular person ones in case your employer needs to make 20 or extra workers redundant inside 90 days or one another.
You’re additionally entitled to enchantment the choice by claiming unfair dismissal inside three months of being let go.
The privately-owned retailer has already restructured its head workplace and is negotiating rents with landlords.
River Island workers affected by the most recent overhaul have entered a 30-day session interval in shops. These will conclude all through September.
It’s the newest retailer to have a look at chopping jobs as excessive road footfall stays far under the degrees loved earlier than the pandemic.
Solely at this time, rival New Look revealed a cope with its collectors that may see £40million pumped into the retailer to scale back its money owed – supplied landlords conform to the proposals.
The restructuring plan is designed to safeguard 12,000 jobs on the 459-strong chain.
In the meantime, earlier this week, Debenhams said it was axing 2,500 workers. WH Smith, Boots and John Lewis are additionally making lay-offs.
Job losses since June 2020
MANY companies have introduced job cuts since June because of the coronavirus lockdown. These embody:
- Shoe chain Aldo collapsed into administration with 5 shops completely closed
- Victoria’s Secret plunged into administration, placing 800 jobs in danger
- Trend chain Quiz put its store enterprise into administration in , placing 82 shops in danger
- British Gasoline homeowners cuts 5,000 jobs, over half of which might be in administration
- Airbus broadcasts 1,700 job losses. It expects cuts to be made by summer season 2021
- TM Lewin says it would shut all 66 of its UK outlets, placing 600 jobs in danger
- Harveys Furniture goes into administration leading to 240 immdiate job losses and places one other 1,000 in danger
- Upper Crust plans to make 5,000 out of its 9,000-strong workforce redundant
- EasyJet says it plans to shut hubs at Stansted, Southend and Newcastle, placing 4,500 jobs in danger
- John Lewis is reported to be planning to chop jobs and completely shut shops
- Harrods has mentioned it’s consulting on chopping 680 jobs
- Virgin Cash, which owns Clydesdale and Yorkshire Financial institution, will reduce 300 jobs
- Topshop proprietor Arcadia has introduced plans to chop 500 workplace workers
- Royal Mail is predicted to chop 2,000 jobs because of coronavirus
It comes as London’s West Finish faces an “existential menace” in accordance with town’s Mayor Sadiq Khan as footfall stays caught at only a third of regular ranges.
That’s in accordance with the New West Finish Firm, which represents 600 companies throughout Oxford Avenue, Bond Avenue, Regent Avenue and Mayfair.
The Mayor warned earlier this week that numbers may stay depressed for a lot of months.
730,000 Brits have become unemployed since March when the coronavirus lockdown started.
The federal government’s furlough scheme is because of come to an finish in October with fears unemployment will rise because of this.