Peering on the gaping abyss earlier than me, I’m hit by a slight feeling of terror as I gear as much as experience the world’s longest zipline.
This attraction, nestled within the coronary heart of the Hajar mountain vary within the United Arab Emirates’ northernmost emirate Ras Al Khaimah, measures 1.7 miles lengthy and hurtles thrill-seekers alongside at speeds of as much as 93mph.
To arrange for the experience, I’m positioned in a sling so I can fly alongside on my stomach and advised to keep up a ‘superman place’.
There are two ziplines side-by-side, so you’ll be able to race your buddy and my buddy Marjolein appears to be like as equally nervous as she’s given her pre-flight briefing.
After two execs strap us in, they depend down earlier than letting us off the hook so we will fly alongside like fighter planes, 5,511 toes above sea degree.
Three, two, one, we’re off. I set free a scream as I whizz off above the rocky peaks. I can’t see the opposite facet of the mountain vary on account of an inflow of cloud and robust winds trigger me to sway relatively unnervingly.
I take a look at the one metal cable and simply pray it should maintain my weight to the tip.
The Jebel Jais Flight, as it’s referred to as, lasts for round two minutes.
The feeling jogs my memory of the time I went skydiving and my face wobbles like jelly from the pressure of the wind. In the meantime, my eyes stare huge in terror by a pair of geeky-looking goggles.
As I get used to the flying sensation, I begin to take pleasure in it.
The views are fairly sensational with craggy valleys winding under me and roads zigzagging in every kind of instructions.
Sadie will get all the applicable gear on earlier than her speedy zipline (Image: Sadie Whitelocks)
What else to discover in Ras Al Khaimah
The UAE emirate of Ras Al Khaimah is usually missed by its glamorous neighbour Dubai however this area has masses to supply. Listed here are a few of the issues to discover throughout your go to:
- In the event you’re on the lookout for a little bit of journey, join the UAE Bear Grylls Explorers Camp with 4, eight and 24-hour course obtainable
- Make a journey to the desert and meet the Arabian oryx, the UAE’s nationwide animal, on a sand dune safari on the Ritz-Carlton Ras Al Khaimah, Al Wadi Desert. Falconry reveals additionally happen and the Farmhouse restaurant serves up a scrumptious unfold of meals and top-notch martinis
- In the event you don’t fancy the Jebel Jais Flight, the Jais Sky Tour is a barely extra sedate possibility, with seven ziplines zigzagging by the mountains at a slower tempo
- Step again in time and be taught in regards to the historical artwork of pearl diving on the Suwaidi pearl farm. Abdulla Al Suwaidi, one of many UAE’s final pearl divers, will let you know some fascinating tales about how his grandfather impressed him and you’ll choose to remain on his ‘floating fort’ for a seafood lunch
- Take in views of the ocean, mountains and metropolis with a kayak by Ras Al Khaimah’s mangroves. You will note pink flamingos wading within the shallow waters, together with herons and a few rarer specimens. Crabs, turtles and rays are additionally commonly sighted on the excursions led by Challenging Adventures
To my proper I see the solar setting with a golden mild casting a glow over the otherworldly surroundings.
Instantly I really feel myself slowing down, and I breathe a sigh of aid as I see the tip in sight.
I smack right into a braking block and a person reels me on to a floating platform.
It seems like all of the blood has rushed my head and as Marjolein zooms in, I see she is crimson within the face too.
The Jebel Jais Flight actually makes for an exhilarating experience.
Afterwards we head for a well-earned feast on the UAE’s highest restaurant which is situated somewhat additional up the Jebel Jais mountain.
Earlier than our zipline the nerves made it somewhat difficult to abdomen something.
1484 By Puro, the very best restaurant within the UAE, opened in October (Image: Sadie Whitelocks)
The lofty eatery referred to as 1484 By Puro (the identify reflecting the truth that it’s situated at 1,484 metres above sea degree) opened in October and it boasts an unbelievable positioning amid the clouds.
Make sure you verify in a late afternoon sitting so you’ll be able to watch the sundown by the ground to ceiling home windows or from the balcony if it’s not too gusty.
The menu affords a various unfold of delicacies with the wasabi shrimps and Gravlax spiced tuna among the many really useful objects.
I’d admittedly by no means heard of Ras Al Khaimah earlier than visiting however this emirate has a glittering array of issues on provide with a sweeping shoreline, wind-whipped desert and mountainous area to discover.
Not forgetting after all, the world’s longest zipline and UAE’s highest restaurant being two of the high-lights.
Tips on how to plan your personal Ras Al Khaimah journey
- Dubai is now on the UK journey hall checklist with no quarantine required on both facet and free PCR checks carried out on arrival
- Flights from the UK to Dubai run commonly with Emirates
- For a handy base, verify into the Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort and Spa, which is an hour’s drive from Dubai and 90 minutes from Jebel Jais. The brand new seaside villas at this sprawling property are spacious and stylish and there are greater than 10 eating places to select from with different facilities together with a 24-gym, spa and 6 swimming swimming pools
Do you could have a narrative to share?
Get in contact by emailing [email protected].