A PARAMEDIC has revealed the four household items that could cause your child to drown, as she urges parents to take note.
Mum-of-two Nikki, who runs Tiny Hearts Education, shared a clip to Instagram outlining these four dangers.
Paramedic Nikki shared ways that you can prevent infant drowning in the homeCredit: tinyheartseducation/Instagram
In the video she demonstrates how you should put the toilet seat down, you shouldn’t leave any dog bowls or buckets around the home and you must always empty the bath while not in use.
While this may seem extreme, Nikki reveals that it is paramount to child safety.
“Babies can drown in less than 5cm of water,” she reveals, “And it can be silent.”
Captioning her video, Nikki adds: “The drowning jobs I attended as a paramedic still haunt me to this day.
Any buckets around the home should be emptied Credit: tinyheartseducation/Instagram
Even a dog bowl is enough to kill a babyCredit: tinyheartseducation/Instagram
She reveals that it takes just 5cm of water to drown a babyCredit: tinyheartseducation/Instagram
“It happens with only a small amount of water, in just 20 seconds and is silent.
“Drowning is the world’s leading cause of unintentional death for children aged 1 to 3. This is particularly devastating, as most of these can be prevented.”
Nikki urges parents to always supervise their little ones around water, eliminate all hazards by tipping out any items containing water, and restrict access between children and any bodies of water.
It is important to empty the bath when it is not in useCredit: tinyheartseducation/Instagram
You should even be closing your toilet seat as that can pose a riskCredit: tinyheartseducation/Instagram
She also highlights the importance of teaching children how to swim and exercise caution around drains, and for parents to learn CPR.
This article was originally published on Kidspot and has been republished with permission.
In other parenting news, Nikki previously revealed common choking hazards in your home.
And a mum issued a heartbreaking Cadbury’s Mini Egg warning after her daughter choked to death.