Table of Contents
ENGLAND has been below strict lockdown restrictions since Thursday, November 5.
Brits are required to remain at dwelling with pubs, bars, eating places and non-essential retail closed. However when did lockdown first begin within the UK? This is all the things you have to know.
England has been below lockdown since November 5Credit score: London Information Photos
When did the UK lockdown begin?
The second UK lockdown was introduced on October 31, regardless of Prime Minister Boris Johnson vowing to do “all the things in his energy” to keep away from the measures.
The measures got here into drive on Thursday, November 5, and are attributable to stay in place till December 2.
England was plunged into lockdown simply months after restrictions had began to ease.
What have the restrictions been because the starting?
- Boris Johnson introduced the primary nationwide lockdown on March 23 – ordering Brits to stay at home, banned gatherings of more than two people, and closed all non-essential retail.
- The lockdown guidelines have been reviewed each three weeks till Could 28 the place the PM introduced additional plans to raise sure measures.
- On June 1, people from different households were able to meet in groups of six in gardens and outdoor spaces.
- Non-essential outlets – together with toys, furnishings, charity, betting and garments – have been allowed to open from June 15.
- Masks have been made obligatory on public transport from June 15, and in indoor settings resembling outlets a month later.
- A raft of latest adjustments have been launched on October 12, including the three-tired local lockdown system.
- A tier-three lockdown is a sort of restriction that sees pubs shut together with different measures designed to scale back the unfold of coronavirus.
- Liverpool Metropolis Area was the primary area to be positioned below Tier 3 lockdown, and was followed by Greater Manchester and Lancashire.
- London was placed under Tier 2 on October 17 which noticed a ban on family mixing indoors.
- The newest lockdown measures have been introduced on October 31, and came into force on November 5.
- Brits are suggested to remain at dwelling, with all non-essential retail, eating places and bars closed.
- Folks should not depart their dwelling apart from particular functions together with work and volunteering, fulfilling authorized obligations, important actions resembling searching for meals, schooling and childcare, assembly others in your help bubble, medical causes, and occasions resembling attending a spot of worship for particular person prayer, a funeral, or a deathbed wedding ceremony.
- Hairdressers and sweetness salons are additionally closed.
- A piece-from-home order is in place.
- In contrast to the final lockdown, colleges, faculties and universities stay open.
- Internal UK-wide travel is set to be discouraged however the furlough scheme has been prolonged.
How lengthy will the UK lockdown final?
The second lockdown is predicted to final till December 2, however it may very well be prolonged.
The Well being Secretary stated it was “too early to know” if the present Covid restrictions have labored – and would solely say he “hoped” to have the ability to return to the tiers system after lockdown.
Mr Hancock instructed Radio 4 the subsequent week (from November 16) will likely be essential, as coronavirus circumstances ought to begin to fall if the “lockdown is working”.
It is possible that England will see a return to the tiered system put up lockdown however measures may very well be tighter.
Closed outlets pictured on an empty New Bond Avenue, London as England continues a 4 week lockdownCredit score: PA:Press Affiliation
Has the UK been on lockdown like this earlier than?
That is the second time the nation has been in a lockdown in only a matter of months.
The final time the UK and Europe has needed to cope with a pandemic on this scale was the outbreak of the Spanish Flu in 1918. Round 50million individuals died and nearly 40 per cent of the world’s inhabitants have been contaminated.
We have had a couple of shut calls with sicknesses like swine flu in 2009-10, however it wasn’t on the identical scale as coronavirus.