THE Queen is to wear a mask at her husband Philip’s funeral — while royals may be banned from singing hymns to stop the spread of Covid.
Experts believe updated government rules will make the Duke of Edinburgh’s send-off on Saturday “the most low-key royal funeral ever”.
* Read our Prince Philip live blog for the latest updates
The Queen will wear a mask at Prince Philip’s funeral on SaturdayCredit: AP
Details are still being finalised but Palace sources insist Covid guidelines will be followed at the ceremony inside St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.
Updated guidance published this week bans communal singing.
It states: “If the event is taking place indoors avoid singing, shouting, chanting and raising your voice.”
A “single group of singers” such as a choir is allowed but it must be “as few as possible” while being socially distanced.
Funeral guests must also stay at least two metres apart from others outside their household bubbles.
This will mean brothers William and Harry may be distanced as they line up with the rest of the family behind Philip’s coffin.
It is also against the law not to wear a face mask without a valid exemption.
The guest list has been restricted to 30, while the order of service was expected shortly.
Organisers are aware of the restrictions, with a Palace source insisting: “We’re going to follow all the funeral guidelines.”
The Queen and Prince Charles today released this photo of Prince Philip on tour in AustraliaCredit: Instagram
Young Princes William and Harry walking behind Princess Diana’s coffin with Prince PhilipCredit: PA
Prince Harry is in self-isolation at Frogmore Cottage after arriving at Heathrow on Sunday following his grandfather’s death aged 99.
Ingrid Seward, editor-in-chief of Majesty Magazine, said: “It will be strange to see them wearing masks and socially distancing but these are the rules.
“I’m sure Philip said, ‘Sorry dears, but this is going to be the most low-key royal funeral ever’, and I’m sure that’s exactly what he wanted.”
Royal biographer Penny Junor added: “I don’t think we’ve ever seen anything quite like this before — and won’t again.
“However, if one thing is important, it’s that no special dispensation is allowed for the funeral.
Prince Charles in a pre-recorded statement after his father’s deathCredit: PA
Prince Andrew is understood to have had his Covid jabCredit: Reuters
“A lot of people have lost loved ones this last year and they had to respect restrictions at funerals.
“The Royal Family are acutely aware of what the British people have gone through and will want to show their solidarity.”
Buckingham Palace declined to comment.