BREXIT helped the UK turn out to be the primary nation on the planet to approve the vaccine, Matt Hancock declared at this time.
The Well being Secretary mentioned breaking freed from the European Medicines Company meant that the UK had been capable of make their very own checks and choices independently of their businesses.
⚠️ Learn our coronavirus live blog for the most recent information & updates
Hancock mentioned Brexit helped us get the vaccine permitted soonerCredit score: London Information Footage
In the present day it was confirmed that the Pfizer vaccine is the primary to get the inexperienced gentle from the UK’s regulators, and will be rolled out to the first people from next week.
800,000 shall be launched to start with, and tens of millions earlier than the top of the month.
The jab – which is 95 per cent efficient and developed by pharmaceutical big Pfizer and German agency BioNTech – is protected to be used, well being regulators say.
There are two others that are being reviewed in the intervening time, too.
Mr Hancock informed Occasions Radio we have now been capable of “velocity issues up” sooner exterior of the EU.
He defined: “And the rationale we have been capable of transfer this quick, and the UK is the primary nation on the planet to have a clinically authorised vaccine, the reason being twofold.
“Firstly, as a result of the MRHA has performed an excellent job of working with the corporate to have a look at that information because it’s come by means of and do issues in parallel, slightly than one after the opposite as they usually would, that is the primary cause.
“The second cause is as a result of, while till earlier this yr we had been within the European Medicines Company (EMA), due to Brexit we have been capable of decide to do that based mostly on the UK regulator, a world-class regulator, and never go on the tempo of the Europeans, who’re transferring slightly bit extra slowly.
“We do all the identical security checks and the identical processes, however we have now been capable of velocity up how they’re performed due to Brexit.”
The information got here as:
- Boris Johnson will give a press conference tonight on the vaccine news
- England’s second nationwide lockdown ended at this time, plunging the nation into harsher restrictions – however opening retailers, gyms and leisure centres
- 50 NHS hospitals will be ready to deliver the jab from next week
- Care house residents, NHS workers and the aged shall be among the many first to obtain drug
- UK has secured 40 million doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine – sufficient to vaccinate 20 million folks – with 10 million doses due within the UK by the top of the yr
- The Nightingale hospitals, together with soccer golf equipment, race-courses and tennis courts, shall be remodeled into mass-vaccine centres
- A scientist warned it might take six months to get everybody vaccinated
- Solely folks over 16 will get the vaccine
- Older adults in care houses and their carers will get the vaccine first
- Mr Hancock and Piers Morgan each vowed to get the jab stay on air to point out it is protected
Mr Hancock mentioned this morning: “I’m completely thrilled the UK is the primary nation on the planet to have a clinically authorised vaccine for Covid-19.
“We now know that assistance is on its means – 2021 goes to be higher.”
He informed Sky Information: “We will see that by the spring we’re going to be by means of this.”
Mr Hancock mentioned the majority of the rollout will come within the new yr, including: “We’ve not put a finger on the numbers earlier than Christmas.”
He informed the BBC: “However what we do know is that we will get began subsequent week with that first load after which a number of tens of millions shall be coming all through December.
The precedence listing confirmed for who will get it first
“Individuals shall be contacted by the NHS when it is their flip and I urge you very strongly to come back ahead as a result of clearly being vaccinated is nice for you, it is permitted as clinically protected by the regulator and it is good to your group as properly to assist get this virus below management as soon as and for all.
“I am assured now with the information at this time that from spring, from Easter onwards, issues are going to be higher and we’ll have a summer season subsequent yr that everyone can get pleasure from.”
The vaccine requires two doses, 21 days aside, and must be saved at a really low temperature, limiting a few of the place it could possibly go instantly.
It must be saved at -70C and might solely be thawed in batches of 1,000 earlier than immunisation.
Ministers are additionally primed to launch a nationwide marketing campaign throughout TV and radio highlighting the benefits of vaccination as early as subsequent week.
Northern Eire First Minister Arlene Foster mentioned the vaccine approval is an early “Christmas current”.