PM Boris Johnson instructed of his “bitter remorse” final evening as he plunged one other 20 million Brits into Tier 4 lockdown.
He mentioned the powerful transfer was important to avoid wasting lives after scientists introduced 981 more daily Covid deaths and 50,023 instances.
⚠️ Learn our coronavirus live blog for the newest information & updates
Matt Hancock confirmed that Tiers could be prolonged throughout the nation
A complete of 44 million individuals, or 78 per cent of England, fell beneath the strictest limits because the clock struck midnight final evening.
The clampdown got here as hotspot hospitals were forced to treat patients in the back of ambulances as wards turned swamped.
Essex declared a serious incident and begged the Army for help.
The brand new super-spreading pressure now accounts for 60 per cent of infections and Mr Johnson mentioned he needed to act regardless of the Oxford vaccine being approved yesterday.
He additionally urged Brits to skip New 12 months’s Eve events tonight.
Talking at No10 he mentioned: “We have now two massive issues occurring without delay in our battle in opposition to Covid — one working for us, one in opposition to.
“On the plus aspect we’ve got two legitimate vaccines, and we’re racing to get them out. And on the dangerous aspect there’s a new pressure of the virus which is spreading a lot sooner.
“At this essential second, with the prospect of freedom inside attain, we’ve acquired to redouble our efforts to include the virus.
“Nobody regrets these measures extra bitterly than I do, however we should take agency motion now.”
NEW YEAR, NEW TIER: Areas throughout England transferring to more durable Tiers
To maneuver into Tier 4:
- Leicester Metropolis
- Leicestershire (Oadby and Wigston, Harborough, Hinckley and Bosworth, Blaby, Charnwood, North West Leicestershire, Melton)
- Lincolnshire (Metropolis of Lincoln, Boston, South Kesteven, West Lindsey, North Kesteven, South Holland, East Lindsey)
- Northamptonshire (Corby, Daventry, East Northamptonshire, Kettering, Northampton, South Northamptonshire, Wellingborough)
- Derby and Derbyshire (Derby, Amber Valley, South Derbyshire, Bolsover, North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield, Erewash, Derbyshire Dales, Excessive Peak)
- Nottingham and Nottinghamshire (Gedling, Ashfield, Mansfield, Rushcliffe, Bassetlaw, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, Broxtowe)
- Birmingham and Black Nation (Dudley, Birmingham, Sandwell, Walsall, Wolverhampton)
- Warwickshire (Rugby, Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwick, North Warwickshire, Stratford-upon-Avon)
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent (East Staffordshire, Stafford, South Staffordshire, Cannock Chase, Lichfield, Staffordshire Moorlands, Newcastle beneath Lyme, Tamworth, Stoke-on-Trent)
- Lancashire (Burnley, Pendle, Blackburn with Darwen, Ribble Valley, Blackpool, Preston, Hyndburn, Chorley, Fylde, Lancaster, Rossendale, South Ribble, West Lancashire, Wyre)
- Cheshire and Warrington (Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Warrington)
- Cumbria (Eden, Carlisle, South Lakeland, Barrow-in-Furness, Copeland, Allerdale)
- Higher Manchester (Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan)
- Tees Valley (Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees )
- North East (County Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, South Tyneside, Sunderland)
- Gloucestershire (Gloucester, Forest of Dean, Cotswolds, Tewkesbury, Stroud, Cheltenham)
- Somerset Council (Mendip, Sedgemoor, Somerset West and Taunton, South Somerset)
- Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole
- Isle of Wight
- New Forest
The next native authority areas will transfer to Tier 3:
- Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin
- Worcestershire (Bromsgrove, Malvern Hills, Redditch, Worcester, Wychavon, Wyre Forest)
- Liverpool Metropolis Area (Halton, Knowsley, Liverpool, Sefton, Wirral, St Helens)
- York & North Yorkshire (Scarborough, Hambleton, Richmondshire, Selby, Craven, Ryedale, Harrogate, Metropolis of York)
- Tub and North East Somerset
- Devon, Plymouth, Torbay (East Devon, Exeter, Mid Devon, North Devon, South Hams, Teignbridge, Torridge, West Devon, Plymouth, Torbay)
The Midlands, North East, elements of the North West and South West are amongst these now in Tier 4.
The Isle of Wight jumped to the strictest limits from Tier 1.
The PM mentioned he thought-about an England-wide lockdown however determined to maintain tiers for now.
Mr Johnson hoped all lockdowns may very well be scrapped by spring due to the vaccines roll-out.
However he warned there “could also be issues we need to keep it up with” eternally reminiscent of frequent hand washing and carrying a masks if sick.
The newest each day deaths toll — the very best since April — was due partly to a lag in reporting over Christmas.
However final evening Buckinghamshire declared a major incident, saying instances may rise near 800 individuals per 100,000 by subsequent week.
44 million individuals will probably be in Tier 4 from tomorrowCredit score: London Information Footage
How guidelines differ between Tier 3 and 4
- In Tier 4, you have to keep at residence and will solely go away to journey for training, childcare or train. You’ll be able to solely meet one different particular person outdoor.
- Brits in Tier 3 can go away the home as they select, offered they comply with social distancing pointers. Households are banned from mixing indoors, however you possibly can meet as much as six individuals in public outside areas reminiscent of parks. – All retailers, together with non-essential retail reminiscent of toys, clothes and homeware, stay open in Tier 3 areas however are shut in Tier 4.
- Hairdressers, barbers, magnificence salons and all leisure venues are open in Tier 3, offering they function beneath Covid security pointers.
- Gyms are open in Tier 3, however just for particular person train with courses halted. They need to stay shut in Tier 4.
- Pubs, bars and eating places stay closed in each tiers however can provide supply or take-out choices.
- In Tier 4, journey for some causes – together with training, childcare or an emergency – will probably be allowed.- Folks in Tier 4 and Tier 3 can nonetheless go to work – however solely as a final resort if they can’t work at home.
NHS England boss Stephen Powis warned hospitals throughout the nation have been getting battered by hovering numbers of sufferers with the killer bug.
He urged: “We are able to all play an element in combating this horrible virus.
“Covid loves a crowd so please go away the events for later within the 12 months.”
Echoing him, the PM mentioned: “Please let’s have fun sensibly so to not unfold the illness.”
Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam warned that the UK is dealing with a “fairly grim and miserable image in the meanwhile” and can solely worsen.
He mentioned: “It’s virtually definitely true that the NHS has not but seen the affect of the infections that may have occurred throughout mixing on Christmas Day and that’s additionally sadly fairly sobering.”
Below Tier 4 all however important retailers should shut with pubs and eating places shut apart from takeaways.
Hairdressers and gymnasiums should shut their doorways.
Folks should keep at residence until they’ve an inexpensive excuse, and so they can meet outside with just one different one who is outdoors their bubble.
Critics hit out on the newest transfer.
Bob Blackman, Tory MP for Harrow East in North West London, warned:
“The best way it’s going, the entire nation will probably be in Tier 4 by the top of January.”
And Craig Beaumont, from the Federation of Small Companies, mentioned: “That is quick turning into a nationwide lockdown in all however identify.
“Small companies proper throughout the economic system want a step-up in help, and we’ve got pitched in a plan to the Chancellor.
“This may be a bridge to when the vaccines assist to unlock our economic system as soon as once more.
“The Authorities ought to throw every part it’s acquired to assist small companies to make it by means of to then and drive the restoration”.
All of the areas already in Tier 4
A listing of the areas in Tier 4 at current are:
- Surrey (excluding Waverley)
- The boroughs of Gosport, Havant, Portsmouth, Rother and Hastings
- All 32 London boroughs and the town of London.
- Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Milton Keynes, Luton, Peterborough
- Essex (excluding Colchester, Uttlesford and Tendring).
A full record of the areas that joined Tier 4 on Boxing Day are:
- These elements of Essex not but in Tier 4
Ambulances wait outdoors the Royal London Hospital
Greg Mulholland, of the Marketing campaign for Pubs mentioned: “Publicans settle for the necessity to deal with Covid.
“However ordering hospitality to shut and cancelling New 12 months’s Eve with lower than 9 hours’ discover — having allowed pubs and eating places to purchase inventory — is disgraceful.
“It’s deeply damaging to the psychological well being of tens of 1000’s of individuals whose livelihoods are depending on pubs and hospitality.”