TWO senior ISIS-K militants who help plot the deadly Kabul suicide bombing were riding on the back of a three-wheeled tuk-tuk when they were struck and killed by a US drone blast.
The military launched its first deadly revenge attack against the terror group on Friday as a “24/7” hunt for those responsible for the bombing at Kabul airport – which killed 13 US troops – continues.
Two ISIS-K bomb plotters were riding in the back of a tuk-tuk when they were killedCredit: Rex
The terrorists were struck by a missile from an MQ-9 Reaper droneCredit: Rex
A pair of “high-profile ISIS targets were killed” in the retaliatory strike, while another was wounded, Major General Hank Taylor on Saturday.
The two senior ISIS-K terrorists – described as “planners” – died immediately and were reportedly sat in the back of a three-wheeled tuk-tuk when they were struck by a missile from an MQ-9 Reaper drone, reports the Mail.
Captain Bill Urban of the Central Command said the drone attack took place in the Nangarhar province of east Afghanistan – home to most of the 2,000 Islamic State-Khorasan militants after the group took responsibility for Thursday’s atrocity.
Pictures of the burnt-out vehicle emerged on social media last night, and it could be seen next to a 4ft deep crater.
The US attack drone used on Friday’s strike is believed to be based in Qatar – where America also has a fleet of B52 bombers that could be drawn upon.
An ISIS-K “planner” and a “facilitator” who were planning more attacks in Kabul were killed in the strike, the Pentagon confirmed.
Department spokesperson John Kirby wouldn’t confirm whether the men were involved in Thursday’s deadly suicide bombing.
“They were ISIS-K planners and facilitators and that’s enough reason there alone. I won’t speak to the details of these individuals and what their specific roles might be,” Kirby said.
Read our Afghanistan live blog for the very latest news and updates…
“We have the ability and the means to carry over the horizon counterterrorism capabilities and we’re going to defend ourselves.”
According to Kirby, neither Congress nor the Taliban received prior notice of the drone strike.
Future attacks against ISIS have not been ruled out after General Frank McKenzie, commander of US Central Command, vowed to work “24/7” to hunt down militants responsible.
American forces working under heightened security and threats of another attack are pressing ahead with the evacuation from Kabul’s airport as the August 31 deadline looms.
The White House and the Pentagon warned there could be more bloodshed ahead of Biden’s fast-approaching deadline on Tuesday to end the airlift and withdraw American forces.
“The next few days will be our most dangerous period to date” in the evacuation, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said.
The retaliatory blast on Friday came after thirteen US troops and dozens of Afghans were killed in the blast at Kabul airport on Thursday.
The suicide bomber reportedly hit people standing in a wastewater canal – sending bodies flying into the water.
It’s understood he walked into the middle of families waiting in Kabul before blowing himself up.
People waiting desperately for a space on a flight out of Afghanistan were seen carrying those who had been wounded to ambulances, their clothes covered in blood.
All 11 Marines killed in Thursday’s attack have been identified as newly wed Rylee McCollum, Kareem Nikoui, Jared Schmitz, Hunter Lopez, Taylor Hoover, 20-year-old David Lee Espinoza. A US Navy medic has been identified as Max Soviak and Army Staff Sgt. Ryan C. Knauss was identified from the army.
Two ISIS-K fighters were killed in the US strike in Nangarhar, and another was woundedCredit: Rex
A suicide bomber at Kabul airport killed more than 170 people – including 13 US troopsCredit: EPA
US troops are working at Kabul airport to evacuate people ahead of the August 31 deadlineCredit: AP