MORE than 50 nations have now banned flights coming from the UK as the brand new mutant pressure of coronavirus rips via Britain.
The Caribbean locations of Jamaica, Grenada and the Dominican Republic are among the many newest to close their doorways to travellers from the UK.
⚠️ Learn our coronavirus live blog for the most recent information & updates
A traveller arrives on the Airport of Bilbao after the final flight from London landed in Loiu, northern SpainCredit score: EPA
Boris Johnson cancelled a deliberate leisure of lockdown measures over Christmas amid concern over the brand new pressureCredit score: Reuters
It means round 53 nations throughout 5 continents have both banned inbound flights or lower all passenger air journey with the UK since Sunday, Mail Online reports.
Some nations prolonged their bans whereas others warned of stricter measures for UK travellers.
Inside Europe, France, Spain, Gibraltar, Germany, Italy, Poland, Belgium, Bulgaria, Estonia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Switzerland, Eire, Norway, Sweden, Romania, Austria, Hungary, Portugal, Latvia, Luxembourg, Finland, Moldova, Denmark, Turkey, Russia and the Netherlands have halted, or have stated they’ll quickly halt, flights arriving from the UK, according to The Telegraph.
Greece has additionally imposed stricter quarantine measures for folks arriving from Britain.
Past Europe, Canada, Kuwait, Mauritius, Hong Kong, Israel, Chile, Iran, Uzbekistan, Jordan, Peru, India, Argentina, Morocco, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Panama, Singapore, Tunisia, Oman, Pakistan, Jamaica, Grenada, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Algeria, El Salvador, Iraq and Saudi Arabia are barring arrivals from the UK.
‘SPREADING VERY FAST’
It comes after the alarming unfold of the mutant Covid pressure prompted Boris Johnson to cancel plans to loosen up lockdown guidelines over Christmas for tens of millions throughout the UK.
Talking from Downing Road, he stated scientists are “studying extra about this variant” as they go, however that it was “now spreading very quick”.
Tier 4 restrictions have now been imposed throughout the southeast, south, and east of England, with a journey ban enforced and residents informed to not depart their houses until completely needed.
And the identical measures could be imposed in more parts of England as early as Boxing Day, The Solar revealed on Tuesday.
The information of the brand new pressure has prompted alarm around the globe, with dozens of nations imposing a ban on flights from the UK.
France’s Le Monde newspaper stated the pressure “concludes a catastrophe yr for the UK”, whereas Belgium’s HLN paper stated that “chaos looms” for the nation.
It comes as…
International locations throughout Europe – together with France, Germany, and Eire – have imposed bans, as have Canada, India, Russia, Israel, and quite a few different nations globally.
The US is but to observe go well with, however Assistant Secretary for Well being Brett Giroir stated that “all the pieces [is] on the desk”.
The ban in Germany left more than 60 Brits stranded and sleeping on camp beds at an airport in Hanover whereas screening was carried out.
France additionally closed its borders to freight lorries from the UK for 48 hours, a transfer that it’s feared may have a “devastating” impact on the availability of meals and different items in Britain.
Airways are dispatching empty flights to affected nations to make sure everybody who had return journeys cancelled can get again.
They’re additionally providing flight adjustments freed from cost.
However it’s believed round 250,000 outbound and inbound travellers may very well be affected by the bans between now and January 1, with the journey sector taking a £400million hit.
The brand new pressure is confirmed to have unfold to at the very least 5 different locations – Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, Gibraltar, and Australia – however officers have stated it’s more likely to already be circulating elsewhere.
There have been unverified experiences of confirmed circumstances in Belgium.
WHICH COUNTRIES HAVE BANNED FLIGHTS FROM BRITAIN?
The information of the mutant pressure of coronavirus spreading within the UK prompted nations around the globe to introduce bans on travellers from Britain.
- Argentina: After a flight arrives Monday, all hyperlinks with the UK can be shut.
- Austria: Flights have been banned from midnight on Tuesday.
- Belgium: Flights have been banned for an extra 24 hours after a one-day suspension was launched from midnight on Sunday.
- Bulgaria: Flights suspended till January 31.
- Canada: Justin Trudeau has tweeted that flights have been briefly suspended for 72 hours from Sunday night time. Brits who arrived on Sunday can be topic to additional screenings and different “superior measures”.
- Chile: Flights suspended to the UK from Tuesday. Anybody who has travelled to Britain prior to now two weeks and doesn’t have Chilean residency may even be banned.
- Colombia: All flights to and from the UK have been suspended from midnight Monday till additional discover.
- Croatia: Flights suspended till January 31.
- El Salvador: Anybody who has traveled to South Africa or the UK prior to now 30 days can be denied entry.
- Estonia: Flights suspended till January 1.
- Finland: Flights have been suspended for 2 weeks.
- France: All journey to the UK was halted for 48 hours on Sunday night time, together with freight, rail, ferry and air networks. Solely unaccompanied freight can be allowed via. Eurostar and Eurotunnel companies usually are not operating, whereas the port at Dover can be closed.
- Germany: An preliminary air ban has been introduced in till December 31, though authorities are working to increase this into January. Freight is exempt from the ban.
- Hong Kong: All arrivals from the UK within the final 14 days can have their quarantine prolonged, whereas new arrivals can be banned from midnight Tuesday.
- India: All flights from the UK can be banned till midnight on December 31. Anybody who transits via Britain will mechanically be examined on arrival in India.
- Iran: Flights suspended for 2 weeks.
- Eire: Flights have been banned for 48 hours from midnight on Sunday. The 310 mile lengthy land border stays open presently
- Israel: All travellers from Britain, South Africa and Denmark have been banned entry. Israeli residents getting back from these locations can be topic to powerful quarantine, in accordance with Benjamin Natanyahu.
- Italy: Italian Well being Minister Roberto Speranza stated he has signed a decree “which blocks flights from Nice Britain and prohibits entry into Italy of people that have stayed there over the past 14 days”.
- Jamaica: All incoming flights from the UK are banned till January 4.
- Jordan: All flights between the dominion and the UK are suspended till January 3.
- Kuwait: Banned flights from the UK and added Britain to its record of ‘high-risk nations’.
- Latvia: Flights suspended till January 1. Bus and ferry companies have additionally been shut down.
- Lithuania: Flights suspended till January 1.
- Macedonia: Flights suspended till January 31.
- Malta: All flights suspended to and from the UK from midnight on Tuesday.
- Mauritius: Travellers from the UK and South Africa can be banned from midnight, with anybody travelling to these nations prior to now 14 days may even be denied entry.
- Morocco: All flights to the UK banned from Sunday.
- Netherlands: All air and ferry companies have been stopped till January 1 as one new case of the mutant pressure has been discovered within the Netherlands.
- Norway: All flights suspended for 2 days.
- Oman: All borders have closed for 2 weeks.
- Peru: All flights to and from Europe have been suspended for 2 weeks President Francisco Sagasti introduced.
- Poland: All these travelling from the UK can be denied entry from midnight Monday.
- Portugal: Lisbon has introduced its ban in coordination with Spain, it is solely neighbour by land.
- Romania: Flights banned for 2 weeks.
- Russia: The Kremlin have suspended air journey between Russia and the UK for every week.
- Saudi Arabia: All borders have closed for one week. Arrivals from Europe over the weekend can be made to quarantine for 2 weeks and can be examined.
- Spain: Madrid has introduced that every one non-residents and residents getting into from the UK can be banned from Tuesday. Controls on entry may even be tightened in Gibraltar.
- Sweden: Travellers from the UK and Denmark have been banned from midnight Monday for an preliminary 48 hours, though Swedish residents can be exempted.
- Switzerland: Flights have been suspended till additional discover. Arrivals from South Africa are actually additionally banned and ordered into quarantine, though Swiss authorities introduced they consider the mutated virus is already circulating within the nation, however has but to point out up on assessments.
- Turkey: Flights from the UK, together with South Africa, Denmark and the Netherlands have been suspended.
Scientists have stated that the brand new mutation – dubbed N510Y – was first recognized in Brazil greater than eight months in the past, however is now spreading sooner as a part of a “constellation of a number of mutations”.
Talking to the Telegraph, Professor Peter Horby, chairman of the federal government’s Nervtag advisory committee, stated: “Whenever you put virus mutations collectively, the mixture can have a distinct impact.”
It has additionally been stated that the brand new pressure has solely been recognized due to the work being executed within the UK to trek variations of the virus because it strikes via the inhabitants.
“Very seemingly that what we’re seeing in Britain is simply the tip of the iceberg.”
Professor Jacob Moran-Gilad
Talking to the Jerusalem Post, Prof. Jacob Moran-Gilad a microbiologist at Ben-Gurion College’s Faculty of Public Well being, stated: “The British are at present the world leaders of their fee of genetic sequencing for COVID-19 affected person samples.
“That’s why they’re those that discover this stuff.”
He added that it is “very seemingly that what we’re seeing in Britain is simply the tip of the iceberg”.
“There are almost certainly plenty of mutations we don’t but find out about as a result of many of the world doesn’t constantly survey and monitor the mutation,” he stated.
However scientists have additionally stated there isn’t any motive to assume the brand new pressure will not reply to the vaccines now being rolled out, nor essentially any trigger for concern till extra is understood.
Talking to the Guardian, Christian Drosten stated: “The query is: is that this virus being boosted by a coming new wave within the area involved [south-east England], or is that this virus liable for creating this wave within the first place? That’s an essential distinction.
“I’m open to new scientific insights, and in science there are at all times surprises, however I’m all the pieces however apprehensive on this respect.”
The mutation’s unfold prompted dozens of nations around the globe to impose journey bans on flight from the UKCredit score: AFP or licensors
Strains of freight lorries and heavy items automobiles had been left stranded at Manston Airport close to Ramsgate, south east EnglandCredit score: AFP or licensors