DILLIAN WHYTE returned to the heavyweight division title picture with last night’s brilliant rematch victory over Alexander Povetkin.
The Brit knocked out the Russian in Gibraltar in the fourth to gain revenge for his brutal defeat in August.
SunSport looks at some of Dillian Whyte’s potential next opponentsCredit: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
Despite him regaining the WBC interim belt, it looks like the 32-year-old Body Snatcher may still face a lengthy wait for his first world-title shot.
Champs Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have already agreed a whopping £200m two-fight deal to unify the division.
And as Whyte anxiously waits like the rest of us for that to happen, here is a look at five men that could be an option for him to face in his next outing:
Deontay Wilder has not fought since he was defeated by Tyson Fury last FebruaryCredit: Getty
The Bronze Bomber, 35, hasn’t fought since his one-sided defeat to Fury in Las Vegas last February.
Speaking after Whyte’s win, Hearn said: “I’d like to see him box quickly again in the summer, maybe go over to the States and have a fight over there.
“We called for the Deontay Wilder fight for a long, long time. [Wilder] actually DM’d Dillian Whyte and said I will never, ever give you that fight.
“And now he got knocked out and he’s calling for the fight with Dillian Whyte.
“For me that’s a stadium fight, that’s a colossal fight. I’d like to get him back out quickly, maybe to the States for a big fight.”
Andy Ruiz Jr is attempting to get back into the world title pictureCredit: Instagram
ANDY RUIZ JR
The Mexican-American said: “I was so happy that Whyte got his a*** knocked the f*** out.
“You know what, because he doesn’t have respect for the fighters – that’s what gets me p***ed off.”
The recently-slimmed down Ruiz held the WBA, IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight titles when he shocked Anthony Joshua in 2019 before being bossed in their rematch that December.
He has recently called out Fury as he attempts to get back into the title fold himself, but a showdown with Whyte would certainly be another big test and decent payday.
The Body Snatcher offered the Russian a trilogy fight after his victory last nightCredit: Dave Thompson Matchroom Boxing
It is a fight that not many fans would want to see, but Whyte says he’s willing to give Povetkin a trilogy fight.
After beating him on Saturday, Whyte said: “I said if he [Povetkin] wants to do it again, we can do it again, I don’t mind.
“It was a good learning fight for me because I had to think in there as well. I was rushing him, but I had to think at the same time.”
Trevor Bryan is the only American heavyweight to currently hold a titleCredit: Instagram / @bigtrevb
The 31-year-old Bryan won the WBA regular title, once held by David Haye, back in January.
Whyte also mentioned that he would like to fight ‘The Dream’ for that belt while discussing what is next for him.
However, Bryan appears to have his sights set a little higher.
He said: “I’m the only champion in America now. I’m a force to be reckoned with.
“I’m ready for Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua. Bring them on.”
Dillian Whyte says he would ‘destroy’ Joe JoyceCredit: Getty
This could potentially be a very dangerous fight for the Body Snatcher – even though he thinks he’d ‘destroy him’.
Joyce stunned Daniel Dubois as is now set to thrash it out with Oleksandr Usyk to decide the WBO’s mandatory man.
Whyte said last week: “If you take into consideration how long I was ranked No 1 and how many top guys I beat, I should get the title shot in front of both of them.
“Who has Usyk beaten at heavyweight? Only Chazz Witherspoon and Derek Chisora and now Joe Joyce.”
And describing Joyce previously, he said: “He was terrible. He’s got no defence and no power.
“If Joyce got in the ring with me, I would destroy him.”